Historically, I’ve never been a huge fan of broccoli – that is – until I charred it to perfection in the oven. Something about the delicious sear smothered in garlic and lemon. It’s so tasty that I refuse to eat it any other way! In this post, I’ll walk you through the absolute best preparation for broccoli. I promise that you won’t be disappointed!
Lonely Pines Farm may earn a commission for purchases made after clicking links on this page.
Growing up in our house, broccoli was almost exclusively steamed. It always came out so bland and, honestly, it stunk up the house. My sisters enjoyed it under cheese sauce. Call me crazy, but I was a picky kid and never gave that cheese sauce the time of day. I really wish I could travel back in time and knock some sense into myself. What kind of kid doesn’t like cheese sauce??….aaaand now I really want some cheese…
As an adult, I never really thought much about broccoli. Honestly, I had no idea how to prepare it and it brought back ho-hum memories. Then one day I went to a schmancy Seattle restaurant and they served us charred broccolini. What a revelation!! I couldn’t shut up about it! For like a year, it would randomly pop into my head and I’d think, “I need to make that someday.” But come dinner time or a trip to the grocery store and that thought was nowhere to be found.
Well, eventually the right wires crossed and I decided to give it a go! I smothered it in olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and a little salt and pepper. It turned out amazing! Now broccoli is permanently on the “Must Grow” list and, in the off-season, we’ve even been known to buy a few heads from the store. I’m honestly hard-pressed to try any other preparations, though I’m sure I’ll branch out someday.
Try Growing Your Own…
There’s no real exacts to this recipe, since you can’t really mess it up, but here are some general measurements to get you started!
Goes Great With Chicken…
If you’ve made any of our recipes, we’d really love to hear from you! Send us an email or leave a comment below the recipe you tried. You can also comment on our Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter pages.
For Other Recipes Ideas, Check Out These Posts:
Garlic Lemon Charred Broccoli
- 1 large head broccoli
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Remove the broccoli florets from the head, chopping any super large ones in half.
- Add the broccoli to a bowl with the olive oil, lemon juice, and minced garlic. Mix with your hands, trying to push the garlic bits into the fluffy part of the broccoli.
- I find that the garlic has a hard time sticking to the broccoli and any little bits left on the pan will burn. So, after you dump the broccoli mixture out on your cookie sheet, scoop up all the extra garlic that didn't stick and lay it on top of the broccoli. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. No need to flip or turn them because you want that nice char. They should look slightly burnt when they come out.
This dish is so tasty freshly made, but also make great leftovers. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Leave a Reply