We’re true believers in living as naturally as possible. That also goes for our pets! We only feed them all-natural, homemade treats. Yes, they take time to make, but it’s worth it for the well-being of your furry friends. Today, we’ll walk you through our favorite recipe for healthy, homemade peanut butter and banana dog treats.
Lonely Pines Farm may earn a commission for purchases made after clicking links on this page.
Within one week of getting Diesel, we decided to transition him to homemade dog treats. Not only does it save money, but we feel so much better knowing exactly what’s going in his body. These days, so many treats are rife with fillers and I like knowing he’s getting all-natural, healthy ingredients. Plus he absolutely loves them!
Scientists say that specialty treats should never make up more than 10% of your dogs’ diet, so we try to reward sparingly. At the rate we use them, they tend to last about two to three weeks for one dog. They have the longest shelf-life in the fridge, so long as your pet doesn’t mind cold treats. If they’re a little picky, you can always plan in advance and take a few out to come to room temperature.
Check out our cute dog running around in the snow…
The nice thing is that you can make the treats into any shape you choose. We just happen to have these adorable little bone-shaped cookie cutters, which makes it easy to break the treats in half for games and training.
Ingredients List for Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Treats:
Here are the basic ingredients you need to make the dough:
- Whole Wheat Flour
- All-natural peanut butter (avoid any containing xylitol)
- Greek yogurt
- Dried fruit of your choosing (we currently have dried strawberries and apples on hand, so I threw some in)
Below you’ll find the full recipe for our all-natural, peanut butter and banana dog treats. We really hope you’ll give them a try. I know they’re Diesel’s favorite.
If you’ve made any of our pet recipes, we’d really love to hear from you! Send us an email or leave a comment below the recipe you tried. You can also comment on our Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter pages.
Related Pet Recipes
Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour (plus a little extra, if needed)
- 1/2 Cup Oats
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1/3 Cup All-Natural Peanut Butter
- 1/3 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 Medium Banana
- 1 Egg
- Extra (like fresh fruit or ground, dried fruit)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients, except extras, in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Add in extras like fresh fruit or ground, dried fruit. Be sure to check that it's something safe for dogs to ingest.
- On a floured surface, roll your dough out to 1/2-1/4 inch thick. Dough will be wet. Feel free to add additional flour, one tablespoon at a time, until it's a consistency you feel comfortable working with.
- Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters, or just cut into squares using a sharp knife.
- Place on the cookie sheet so they're just barely not touching. You can use parchment or silicone baking mat, though I've found it unnecessary. This recipe makes more than I can tightly fit on one large cookie sheet, so you may need to do two rounds of baking.
- Bake until firm and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
- Store in an airtight container, preferably in the fridge for the longest shelf-life.