Lettuce soup?!? I know – it sounds bizarre, but it’s so delicious. Are you looking for a new way to enjoy your lettuce harvest? Or just in search of a unique soup idea? Then this dish is for you! It’s hardy, comforting, and full of flavor.
Lonely Pines Farm may earn a commission for purchases made after clicking links on this page.
This time of year, we’re always up to our eyeballs in lettuce. So it’s no wonder that we get a little burnt out on salads. I’ve been on the hunt for new ideas that use up a fair bit of leafy greens and this creamy lettuce soup is just the ticket!
The mild lettuce flavor provides a neutral backdrop for the onions and garlic to shine. Together they combine into a rich, satisfying soup, perfect for rainy spring days. We like to top ours with some fresh cracked pepper, parmesan cheese, and a dollop of sour cream – plus crusty sourdough bread for dipping.
Lettuce soup can be served hot or cold, so it’s also a refreshing choice for mid-summer. It stores well in the freezer, so don’t hesitate to make a double batch for later – we usually do!
As an added bonus – lettuce soup is incredibly healthy. Despite being very creamy in texture, there’s actually no heavy cream involved. It’s low calorie, high fiber, and can easily be made vegan or keto with a few adjustments. In fact, in the past, we’ve substituted the potato for fresh cauliflower and it was fantastic!
It really is a great soup base to adjust as you see fit. Adding some mustard greens, arugula, or herbs from the garden would dramatically change the flavor, and – all of a sudden – you’ve got a whole new soup!
What do you think? Are you ready to give lettuce soup a try? It’s quick & easy to make, packed full of flavor, and loaded with nutrients.
If you enjoyed this article, please share it to spread the lettuce love.
Did you know that lettuce could be made into soup? Have you tried lettuce soup before? Send us an email or leave a comment below! You can also let us know on our Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or Pinterest pages.
Be sure to check out these helpful articles for more ways to use your leafy greens…
- Highly Addictive Kale Chips Recipe
- How to Dehydrate Lettuce & Make Green Powder
- How to Regrow Kitchen Scraps
Did you enjoy this article? Want to hear more? Stay in touch! Sign up below to receive bi-weekly updates on new posts from Lonely Pines Farm.
Hot or Cold Creamy Lettuce Soup Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onions, green onions, or shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup diced potato peeled
- 8 cups lettuce leaves coarsely chopped (3/4 lb)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large soup pot over medium-low heat.
- Add onions & garlic. Saute – stirring often – until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add coriander, salt, pepper, and cook 1 more minute, while stirring.
- Add lettuce, potatoes, and chicken broth.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until potatoes are very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Puree your soup – in batches – using the method of your choice. We've used a blender, food processor, and emulsion blender – they all work. Please be careful when blending hot liquids.
- Transfer the blended soup to a small saucepan, adding the last tablespoon of butter and salt & pepper to taste. Heat through before serving.
- Top with parmesan cheese & a dollop of sour cream.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week or portion and freeze for soup on-the-go!